October's Reading List

Oct 31, 2011
This has been a busy month, new job, sister's baby shower, tutoring, and let's not forget....reading.  Here are the books I read this month (and one from September that I forgot to list),

September's forgotten book...

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
First, a confession...I saw the movie first.  Gasp! I know I try not to ever do that, but this was one of those instances.  They are both very similar, but I did enjoy the book better.  It's the story of Liz and her one year journey to discover who she is.  She goes through a terrible divorce, finds another guy, falls in love, breaks up, gets back together, breaks up, etc.  She comes to a point when she says enough is enough and has decided to go to Italy, India and Indonesia to look within herselfand find her self-worth.  I admire Elizabeth Gilbert for taking the leap into the unknown about herself (which can be very scary).  It has inspired me to learn Italian (made it to the bucket list).


The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks
I have a love/hate relationship with Nick.  I have enjoyed reading his books, sometimes they are just so sad at the end.  Tear, tear.  This one added a point to the love column.  I started it not realizing it is a sequel to The Notebook. Swoon.  You need to read The Notebook (swoon) if you have only watched the movie, since they do differ. Hey! I watched the movie first with this one too!!  Maybe I do this more often than I think.  Anyway, The Wedding is the story of one of Noah and Allie's daughters and her husband.  Written from the perspective of the husband, Wilson. He begins the book by telling the readers that he forgot his 29th anniversary.  Completely! We go through the next year of his journey trying to save his marriage.  It is a very sweet book that most ladies will love.  One more for the road...swoon.


Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks
I bought both of these Nicholas Sparks books at a garage sale (one of my many weaknesses when it comes to book buying).  After I started this one I realized I had already read it, but remembered liking it so I reread it.  This one adds to the love/hate relationship with a point for both sides.  I do like Nick's writing style and he tells a good story, but there are times when I want to change the endings of his books.  This is one of those stories.  This book tells the story of Adrienne Willis and her love affair that began at an Inn.  Adrienne's daughter recently lost her husband to cancer and is having a rough time dealing with the loss.  Adrienne decides it is time to share the story of the love of her life with her daughter.  Another swoon is in order. Swoon.  If you enjoy reading the romantic love stories, this is a good read. 

51/50 The Magical Adventures of a Single Life  by Kristen McGuiness
I was given this book for my birthday last monthThanks, friend!  A interesting book about Kristen's adventures in the dating world. I started this book with the notion that it would be a light read with some funny stories.  At times I was right, but not as often as I thought I would be.  Kristen tells it all: her former life as a dug and alcohol addict, her current life of sobriety, her seemingly good relationships, her detrimental ones and the on-the-mend relationship with her dad. An interesting adventure indeed. 


 The Hunger Games  by Suzanne Collins
Another confession, this is the second time I have read this book.  I absolutely LOVE this book.  I am also pretty excited that they are currently making the Hunger Games movie! This book is the first of a trilogy that tells the story of one Katniss Everdeen and her experience in the Hunger Games. Set sometime in the future in "what was once known as North America".  Katniss lives in District 12 and it is the day of the reaping.  The reaping is the annual nationwide event when every District holds a lottery and selects one male and female tribute that is 12-18 years old.  They each travel to the Capitol to fight to the death with the other tributes.  I don't want to give anything away, but Katniss ends up going to compete in these "games".  BEWARE: This is a page turner for sure.  I stayed up to 4 o'clock in the morning when I read it the first time.  There is a lot of violence in the book, so I recommend for high school and older.  You don't have to be in high school to enjoy this book though.  P.S. I have Hunger Games fever so you will be seeing more posts about these books and the movie in the future.

Let me know what you think about these books!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are my favorite! :) Not a fan of spam, the fake meat or fake comment. Your comment will appear after I click ok.